Sunday, April 11, 2010

Frustration and Success

Just a quick update this week..

There's been a fair amount of frustration. I'm finding meals are getting fairly hard to deal with. Lunch is a pain because breakfast is the same thing every day, then I choose dinner and whatever is left for calories becomes lunch.
But it's hard sometimes to find things that fit into the calories I have left at lunch. The main reason for this? My father. We eat dinner together every night and he doesn't want us eating two different meals. I have no problem cooking two separate meals that we eat at the same time, but he thinks it diminishes the importance of eating a meal together.

I'd love to be able to make what I want. Dad and I unfortunately have very different tastes. I love poultry and could eat a lot of it. It's lean, low cal and very versatile. Dad however, is a red meat eater. He will not eat poultry more than once a week, twice if I'm really sneaky. I also love spicy food, lots of vegetables and trying new things. Dad is very English in his eating. The plainer, the better. He also hates it when I try a new recipe because he automatically figures it has to suck because I chose it. So planning meals sometimes can be really challenging. 

So a lot of the time more calories go into dinner than I'd like there to be; just because I have to make meals he would want. Part of the issue as well is that Dad's tired of eating certain meals, and I'm tired of eating the ones he's not tired of. So we're in this huge rut that we can't get out of because he won't try new things and I'm tired of the same old same old.

But I am trying. 

 I had two cheat days this week. I try to only have one, but this week had to be an exception. Easter was on Sunday so obviously that was a cheat day. There was no way I was going to be able to eat low cal when it comes to a holiday like that.

The other cheat day was Wednesday. Dad and I have had season tickets to MTC for the past 10 years. So we go once a month during the theatre season. We always go out for dinner the night of the play as well, make it a daddy/daughter night kind of thing. Well we went off to the Keg. Yet again, I knew there was no hope of eating well, so I just enjoyed the food. 

Back into routine again for Thursday and the rest of this week. Although today may end up being a minor cheat day. I have had horrible insomnia for the last 10 days  to 2 weeks.. I'm so incredibly tired. I did work out yesterday but it nearly killed me. Today I'm still exhausted so I may just skip the workout.. we'll see how the day goes.

I do have some success now though! It's not a huge amount but it's something. Since I truly started to eat well and commit myself to working out every day (so like.. 2.5 weeks now I guess) I've lost 2 inches in my torso and 7 pounds. I'm startled to see the inches come off my top half of my body considering that the elliptical is a lower body workout. I would have figured it would come off my butt and thighs first. Oh well, I'll take it where I can get it!

so my new stats are:

Age: 26
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 197 lbs

Measurements:
Calves: 17"
Thighs : 31"
Hips: 47"
Stomach: 44"                                      down 2 inches from starting point
Waist: 34"                                            down 2 inches from starting point
Chest (bust): 40"                               down 2 inches from starting point
Upper arm: 13"
Lower arm: 9.5"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good job on ya, Kathy! 7 lbs are 7 lbs, so you know what you're doing is working!

My dad used to be like that in diet - he swore up and down he'd never eat sushi, but I brought it home one day, and now, he takes me out for sushi. He is more adventurous than I give him credit for, but it took him a while to be adventurous. What you can try to do if he wants 'certain' foods is prepare them in different ways. I'm not sure if that helps or not, but I like trying new recipes in cookbooks.

Post a Comment